Sunday, August 27, 2017

Warpfire thrower template

One of my favourite parts of Oldhammering is scratch building, and making little odds and ends. I've also decided to paint a 1,500 point skaven army (more about that in a later post). So that gave me a perfect excuse for making a template for my warpfire throwers!

I'm not too keen on the flimsy paper template in the back of the 3rd ed rulebook. Even stuck on some card, it doesn't look that great. So, how to make a 1 inch radius template that looks something like a mass of burning warpfire?

Starting point was some plastic card I picked up from one of my favourite shops, Reverse Garbage. I cut out a circle of the right size and used a protractor to mark 30 degree angles. I then cut out notches to give me the 'clock face' for working out deviation.

For the 'fire' I decided to see what would happen if I mixed polyfilla with pva glue and a bit of water. What happens is as soon as you mix the glue in it seizes up into quite a solid mass. I then used a toothpick and a silicone modelling tool to shape it. This is a test piece.



I found that as it dried the detail smoothed out, so I just went back and redetailed it before it completely dried and that seemed to work.

Here's the finished product.

Bless you


I painted it with a mix of white and VGC Escorpena Green, then a heavy drybrush with straight green and a lighter drybrush on the high bits and at the edges with - I think - VGC Dark Green. Some green ink was splotched on, followed by yellow ink which I think has worked quite well to give it a warpstone-like tinge.

Burn, baby, burn


At some point I'll do something similar for a poisoned wind globe. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments: