Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Stone barn

It's been a very long time between posts, but hopefully this marks the start of more regular blogging.

My latest completed project is a stone barn.




Over on the Oldhammer Community Facebook group, one of the chaps has started a collaborative project to scratchbuild every building in the Warhammer Townscape pack. I decided to have a go at the stone barn. I already have a few 'rural' terrain pieces and I thought that the barn would complement them nicely.

Unfortunately, I didn't take very many WIP shots. Here it is with the build finished and awaiting painting. The guts of it is 5mm foamcard, with balsa and wood veneer for the timbering. The plaster is polyfilla mixed with water to form a paste, which is then smoothed with a palette knife.


After this picture, I textured the plaster walls with fine sand in a water-pva mix with a bit of brown paint added. It needed two coats to get a relatively even coverage, and even then it's quite patchy. It needed more sand in, I think, and possibly a more dilute glue-water mix. I was a it unhappy with the result at first, but it painted up ok. This is with base colours applied, before highlighting.



And here it is again after drybrushing, detailing and basing. The lichen is fine sand painted with P3 Menoth White Base then with dabs of green.






I'm really happy with how this has turned out. It's the terrain piece that I'm happiest with!
Here's how it looks with some of my other pieces...


Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment