Sunday, August 20, 2017

Serpentine dragon

I started collecting White Dwarfs from issue 95, and it was issue 96 that was - and I think still is - my favourite. The centrepiece of that article, for me, was the 'Eavy Metal article on how to paint Nick Bibby's new range of dragons. They are just the most amazing sculpts, with fabulous painting by Mike McVey.


Look at them - just look at them!
(Thanks to Eldritch Epistles for the pictures.)


Back in the day I managed to get the young forest dragon, but with the Australia tax on miniatures the rest were out of my price range. Fast forward to a few years ago when I got back into the hobby and I decided to try to collect the set. Which I did! I got the last of them - the lava dragon - last year.

I water a break from fiddly detail after all the wood elves, so a dragon seemed like the way to go. I've painted the young forest dragon and the young fire dragon, so the serpentine dragon was next up.

And here it is!

Roaaaar
It was really quick to paint. I took a bit more care priming it than I usually  do, so I got a quite nice coverage. The skin is P3 Mouldy Ochre, washed with a mix of MO and P3 Bootstrap Leather. The scales are VMC Golden Olive washed with GW Salamder Green. I used a matte medium in the wash for the first time, and I think it helped give a more even coverage.




Highlights were just drybrushed, which really sped things up. For the base I've used Green Stuff World's cobblestone textured roller and some sphagnum moss that I've soaked in dilute green paint, dried and crumbled to a fine texture.


Really pleased with how it's turned out - I even managed to shade yellow successfully which has never happened before! I went with green so that it'll fit in with the wood elves if I ever decide to give them a dragon. For now, though, it's quite happy sitting in my cabinet. Thanks for stopping by!










No comments:

Post a Comment